Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute
PhD Programs Admissions 2017
Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute (TBSI) is jointly established in 2014 by the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) and the Tsinghua University, with the full support of Shenzhen Municipal Government, on the initiative of building a bridge across disciplines, cultures and countries, academia and industry, and an unprecedented platform for international collaboration, fostering future entrepreneurs and leaders in science and technology. Application for fall 2017 graduate admissions is now open.
TBSI starts with 3 trans-disciplinary research centers and 17 laboratories in the following areas: Environment Science and New Energy Technology, Data Science and Information Technology, Precision Medicine and Healthcare. As the Institute develops, more trans-disciplinary academic areas will be covered.
Faculty Team: TBSI plans to recruit 100 faculty members, including senior professors from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, as well as full-time faculty newly recruited from all over the world. At present, all the research teams have already entered a virtuous cycle among education and research.
Co-Advisors: TBSI has set up a group of advisors composed of faculty members from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, who will provide guidance on educational objectives, educational model, curriculum design, papers & thesis, industrial internship, etc.
Industry Advisors: TBSI has established its Industrial Advisory Board, members of which include high-tech enterprises such as Tencent, HUAWEI, SIEMENS, DJI-Innovations, BYD Auto, ZTE Corporation and Cisco. Apart from academic advisors from both Tsinghua and UC Berkeley, students at TBSI PhD programs will also receive guidance from industry advisors. Students can benefit from the university-industry partnerships in their research and personal development.
At TBSI, students will be provided with excellent research environment and encouraged to develop their innovative thinking and creativity in trans-disciplinary research. Under the guidance of world-class faculty and industry advisors, students are able to gain unrivalled experience of studying together with schoolfellows from different cultures at the two universities. On TBSI’s platform of collaboration between universities and society, students will develop their entrepreneurial and innovation abilities with interdisciplinary research.
* Students who have fulfilled degree and dissertation requirements will be issued a PhD Degree at Tsinghua University and a Certificate of Study at UC Berkeley.
Regulations & Statistics:
TBSI admission applications will be reviewed by faculties from both Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley. Admission procedure and regulations are in conformity with corresponding provisions on graduate admissions of Tsinghua University. On the basis of competitive selection, TBSI has offered PhD admission to 31 students in the year of 2015 and 45 students in the year of 2016 (Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and international students included) based on preliminary admission results.
Academic Areas of Study
|0830J2 Environmental science and New Energy Technology|
|Nano Energy Materials||Feiyu KANG/Quanhong YANG/Junqiao Wu|
|Environmental Science and Technology||Xihui ZHANG/Hongying HU/ Slawomir W. Hermanowicz|
|Smart Grid and Renewable Energy||Liming WANG/Hongbin SUN/Scott Moura/Shmuel Oren/Kameshwar Poolla|
|Intelligent Transportation and Logistics Systems||Lixin MIAO/Yi ZHANG/Max Shen|
|Low Carbon Economy and Financial Risk Analysis Research||Ying KONG/Xin Guo/Ilan Adler|
|Low Dimensional Materials and Devices||Huiming CHENG/Bilu LIU/Xiaolong ZOU|
|0812J3 Data Science and Information Technology|
|Sensors and Microsystems||Zheng YOU/Xiaohao WANG/Liwei Lin|
|Nano-Devices||Yidong HUANG/Cunzheng NING/Connie Chang-Hasnain/Wang Feng/Yi LUO*|
|Internet of Things and Societal Cyber Physical System||Lin ZHANG/Shaolun HUANG|
|Future Internet||Jianping WU/Yong JIANG|
|Big Data Research||Kaiping PENG/Wenwu ZHU|
|Smart Imaging||Qionghai DAI|
|0831J4 Precision Medicine and Healthcare|
|Macromolecular Platforms for Translational Medicine and Bio-Manufacturing||Wei SUN/Tao XU/Seung-Wuk Lee/Ting Xu|
|Cancerbiomarkers, Therapeutics and Theranostics||Yongzhang LUO/Laiqiang HUANG/Lan MA/Gerard Marriott|
|Biomedical Detection and Imaging||Hui MA/Xiaohua Gong|
|Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine||Wei SUN/Yaojiong WU/Tao XU/Song Li/ Gerard Marriott/ Xiaohua Gong|
|Integrated Molecular Diagnostic System||Jing CHENG/Luming LI|
|Category I Applicants:
Candidates from Mainland China: i) expected to graduate in 2017, qualified for exemption from entrance examinations based on their undergraduate institutions’ recommendations; ii) currently enrolled in a Master’s degree program at Tsinghua University, qualified for exemption from entrance examinations for PhD admission
|Category II Applicants:
Candidates from Mainland China: i) with a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree; ii) expected to obtain a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree prior to August, 2017
|Category III Applicants:
Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan candidates: i) with a Master’s degree; ii) expected to obtain a Master’s degree prior to August, 2017
|Category IV Applicants:
International candidates: i) with a Master’s degree; ii) expected to obtain a Master’s degree prior to August, 2017
|Online Application||Online application now open at http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/admissions
*Note: In addition to submission of application to TBSI online system, Category III applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2017 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.
|Online application now open at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/
*Note: Please read the Admission Guide to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2017 (For International Students) carefully before starting your application.
|Campus Day||June 21-24, 2016|
|Document Submission||September 14, 2016||November 30, 2016||As early as possible (Deadline will be announced in early December, 2016 on the official website of Tsinghua University)||THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient.|
|Round 1 Interview & Early Decision||September, 2016||N/A|
|Round 2 Interview & Decision||N/A||December, 2016||N/A|
Academic excellence and demonstrated potential for outstanding leadership are required;
GPA of 3.0 and higher (on a 4.0 scale) (if applicable).
English Language Proficiency
Courses will be taught entirely in English for PhD programs at TBSI. Applicants are expected to have good English skills. For non-native English speakers, evidence of English proficiency is required. Please submit one of the following standardized English language test scores from the past 5 years:
|Test||Minimum Score Requirement|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|IELTS||7.0 overall band score|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|China College English Test (CET) Band 6||425|
|Tsinghua English Proficiency Test (TEPT) Level II||Pass|
Applicants who may not be able to provide any score report of the above examinations during online application period, please attach a statement indicates your situation and provide other proof of English language proficiency in the application system. In addition, please contact TBSI Admissions Office to review your language-related documents and confirm your eligibility.
* For applicants whose institutions adopt English as the medium of instruction (covering at least 3 years for Bachelor’s Programs or at least 1 year for Master’s programs), please contact TBSI Admissions Office for review and you may not need to provide evidence of English proficiency.
To be eligible for admission, Category I Applicants currently enrolled in undergraduate programs, must also meet the following conditions:
1. Be graduating students expected to obtain a Bachelor’s degree at key universities in China;
2. Be qualified for exemption from China National Entrance Examination for Graduate Programs based on your current institution’s recommendation (具备本院校推免资格);
3. Have not received any punishment in universities/colleges;
4. Have achieved excellence in academic records during undergraduate years.
To be eligible for admission, Category II Chinese Mainland Applicants with/expected to obtain degrees at overseas institutions, must also meet the following conditions:
Diplomas issued by overseas institutions must be certified by the Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange, China Ministry of Education and the original certification report shall be submitted. Applicants who have not yet obtained their degrees at the time of application shall submit the original certification report prior to enrollment in 2017.
Category III Applicants:
1. Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants: Refer to applicants holding a Permanent Identity Card of Hong Kong/Macao; or a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents; or a Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents.
2. Category III Applicants applying for PhD programs shall have degrees or academic qualifications equivalent to Master’s degrees in the P. R. China. Applicants are responsible for the authenticity of documentation submitted in support of his or her application for admission. The submission of fraudulent documents is prohibited and will result in denial of admission.
Category IV Applicants:
1. International Applicants: Refer to applicants who are non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
2. Category IV Applicants applying for PhD programs shall have degrees or academic qualifications equivalent to Master’s degrees in the P. R. China. Applicants are responsible for the authenticity of documentation submitted in support of his or her application for admission. The submission of fraudulent documents is prohibited and will result in denial of admission.
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For applicants from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan)
TBSI Online Application System is expected to be accessible in June, 2016. Applicants may submit their documentation through email to our Admissions Office prior to launch of the system and then resubmit the application online later. Information announced on the official website of TBSI concerning admission timelines, procedure and document submission shall prevail to the extent of any inconsistency.
*Applicants are recommended to produce and upload to the online application system a self-introduction video clip (up to 1 minute long, max 20M) in any styles, to express his/her personality in a vivid way.
*In addition to submission of application in TBSI online system, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2017 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.
Hard Copies of Application Documents (will not be returned)
1. Application Form.
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement, Plan of Study in the languages of both Chinese and English as separate files. (International applicants may only provide documents in English.)
3. Two Letters of Reference. Referees shall hold a position as (or equivalent to) Associate Professor/Professor in relevant academic areas. A letter of reference shall include evaluations on applicants’ qualifications, potential to carry on advanced study in the field specified, and intellectual independence, as well as descriptions of significant actions, accomplishments, character and personal qualities related to scholarly achievement. Letters of reference must be submitted in envelopes signed and sealed by referees.
4. Official Transcripts. Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university with a school stamp on the copies and across the envelope flap.
5. Copies of Diplomas and Awards/Certificates of Merit; International applicants must provide verification of Bachelor and Master’s degrees.
6. Documentary Evidence of English Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency)
7. Please provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, if applicable.
8. Please provide evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to scientific and technological activities both in and out of school, if applicable.
9. For Hong Kong/Macao applicants, please provide copies of either Permanent Identity Card of Hong Kong/Macao or Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents. For Taiwan Applicants, please provide copies of Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents.
*All kinds of certification shall be original documents or notarized copies in either Chinese or English. Original degree verification letters and transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university. Notarized copies must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing notary departments. Original documents or notarized copies will not be returned and will be preserved as student records. New graduates can submit later original documents or notarized copies of degree certificates and transcripts upon registration. Candidates fail to provide qualified documents will not be officially admitted.
*TBSI Admissions Office will review all the original documents of application materials. TBSI reserves the right to cancel or withdraw any oral or written admission notification given to students who fail to provide original documents of application materials. Application documents will not be returned.
Once your online application is submitted, please mail the hard copies of your application documents as early as possible to the following address: Admissions Office, 21F, C3 Building, Nanshan Intelligence Park, No.1001, Xueyuan Blvd., Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China 518055. Applicants whose hard copies of documents fail to be received before the deadline will be deemed to give up their applications.
Category I Applicants: September, 2016
Category II & III Applicants: September/December, 2016
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location.)
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For international applicants)
Applicants should complete the Online Application at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/ during the designated THU application period. Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application as early as possible in the cycle, well in advance of posted deadline dates. Please note that for applicants for the Chinese Government Scholarship or other scholarships, applications should be submitted before December 31, 2016.
Please upload all the listed documents below to the application system:
1. Personal statement. Doctoral degree program applicants also need to submit a brief introduction of research experience.
2. Degree certificate. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both master’s and bachelor’s degree certificates. Those who have not graduated yet must provide a proof of education in current academic institution.
3. Academic transcript. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit academic transcripts of both graduate and undergraduate studies.
4. Two online academic recommendation letters from scholars who have the title of associate professor or higher or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow system instructions for submission of online recommendation letters.
5. Documentary Evidence of English Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency), if applicable.
6. Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport).
Note：Use the online application to apply. The online application offers tools for collecting and submitting the documents and information required for application. You may provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, and evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to scientific and technological activities both in and out of school, if applicable and upload the files to the application system as supplemental documents.
Upon completion of your online application, please send an email notification which contains your effective contact information to TBSI Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject as “PHD Program Application – Full Name of Applicant”, for example, “PHD Program Application –Michael Miller” in case supervisors would need to contact you for further information.
Applicants are required to submit scanned images of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations are to be submitted together to the application system.
Please scan the original or notarial application documents in color using a scanner. Documents images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
Application fee must be paid at time of application submission. THU is not responsible for errors made by applicants during the application process. There are no application-fee refunds.
Applications with incomplete documents or without application fee payment will not be processed.
THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise, the admission will be disqualified.
None of the above application documents will be returned.
Evaluation and Admission
THU enrolls students by document evaluation together with matriculation examination. The admission committee of the applicable department/school will review the application documents and select applicants for further examination. The examination will be made by one of the following methods: ①Interview Exemption; ②Personal Interview; ③Interview plus written test. If an interview is required for admission, TBSI will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview appointment; and provide information about the interview process.
Admission to the graduate program is determined at the department/school level with oversight by Tsinghua University according to the result of document review, result of interview, and other factors. Certificate of Admission will be issued by THU Graduate Admission Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check admission status via the THU Graduate Programs Application System for International Students.
TBSI Scholarships for Chinese Mainland/Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan Students
|Phases||Study in China||Study Overseas|
|Types||TBSI Dean Scholarships||TBSI Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarships||TBSI Shenzhen Living Allowance||China National Grants||Tsinghua University Academic Scholarships||TBSI Study Overseas Scholarships|
|Criteria||20,000||Excellence Scholarship||Merit Scholarship||Academic Scholarship||12,000||12,000||12,000||24,000|
|Units||per student per year in RMB||per student per year in USD|
TBSI Scholarships for International Students
|Phases||Study in China||Study Overseas|
|Types||TBSI International Students Scholarships||TBSI Dean Scholarships||TBSI Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarships||TBSI Shenzhen Living Allowance||TBSI Study Overseas Scholarships|
|Criteria||30,000||20,000||Excellence Scholarship||Merit Scholarship||Academic Scholarship||12,000||24,000|
|Units||per student per year in RMB||per student per year in USD|
Government Scholarships for International Students
Qualified international applicants are encouraged to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS). Applications should be submitted to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) (Website: http://www.csc.edu.cn) through recommendation by Chinese Embassies or Consulates or relevant organizations in applicant home countries between November and April (deadlines vary by country). Applicants are recommended to identify their respective countries’ application deadlines well in advance. A certificate of conditional acceptance should be obtained from the THU Graduate Admission Office beforehand if necessary. Admission documents of Chinese Government Scholarship holders will be issued by recommending scholarship organizations (excluding scholarship holders recommended by Tsinghua University).
Applicants may also apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship with recommendation from Tsinghua University. But the number of the recommended applicants is very limited, and successful applicants are generally of remarkable merit among those who are not currently studying in China.
In addition to the Chinese Government Scholarship, applicants may choose to apply for Tsinghua University Scholarship (for doctoral degree Programs), which will typically support full, half, or partial tuition.
For more detailed information about introduction and application of scholarship, please visit http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn.
*Note: International applicants who have been awarded a government scholarship may not apply for multiple scholarships of the same kind.
Chinese Mainland/Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan Students: 10,000 RMB/Year
International Students: 40,000 RMB/Year
*Scholarships will be granted to students after enrollment. For more details on scholarships and tuition fee, please consult staff at Admissions Office.