Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute
2018 PhD Program Admission
Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute (TBSI) is jointly established in 2014 by the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) and the Tsinghua University, with the full support of Shenzhen Municipal Government, on the initiative of building a bridge across disciplines, cultures and countries, academia and industry, and an unprecedented platform for international collaboration, fostering future entrepreneurs and leaders in science and technology. Application for fall 2018 graduate admissions is now open.
TBSI starts with 3 trans-disciplinary research centers and 17 laboratories in the following areas: Environment Science and New Energy Technology, Data Science and Information Technology, Precision Medicine and Healthcare. As the Institute develops, more trans-disciplinary academic areas will be covered.
Faculty Team: TBSI plans to recruit 100 faculty members, including senior professors from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, as well as full-time faculty newly recruited from all over the world. At present, all the research teams have already entered a virtuous cycle among education and research.
Co-Advisors: TBSI has set up a group of advisors composed of faculty members from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, who will provide guidance on educational objectives, educational model, curriculum design, papers & thesis, industrial internship, etc.
Industry Advisors: TBSI has established its Industrial Advisory Board, members of which include high-tech enterprises such as Tencent, HUAWEI, SIEMENS, DJI-Innovations, BYD Auto, ZTE Corporation and Cisco. Apart from academic advisors from both Tsinghua and UC Berkeley, students at TBSI PhD programs will also receive guidance from industry advisors. Students can benefit from the university-industry partnerships in their research and personal development.
At TBSI, students will be provided with excellent research environment and encouraged to develop their innovative thinking and creativity in trans-disciplinary research. Under the guidance of world-class faculty and industry advisors, students are able to gain unrivalled experience of studying together with schoolfellows from different cultures at the two universities. On TBSI’s platform of collaboration between universities and society, students will develop their entrepreneurship and innovation with interdisciplinary research.
* Students who have fulfilled degree and dissertation requirements will be issued a PhD Degree at Tsinghua University and a Certificate of Study at UC Berkeley.
Regulations & Statistics:
TBSI admission applications will be reviewed by faculty from both Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley. The admission procedure and regulations are in accordance with all the rules and regulations of Tsinghua University.
Academic Areas of Study
|0830J2 Environmental science and New Energy Technology|
|Nano Energy Materials||Feiyu KANG/Junqiao Wu|
|Environmental Science and Technology||Xihui ZHANG/Hongying HU/ Slawomir W. Hermanowicz|
|Smart Grid and Renewable Energy||Liming WANG/Hongbin SUN/Wenchuan Wu/QingLai Guo/Scott Moura/Shmuel Oren/Javad Lavaei/Yinliang Xu|
|Intelligent Transportation and Logistics Systems||Lixin MIAO/Yi ZHANG/Max Shen/Wai Kin (Victor) Chan/Li Xiao|
|Low Carbon Economy and Financial Risk Analysis Research||Ying KONG/Xin Guo/Ilan Adler|
|Low Dimensional Materials and Devices||Huiming CHENG/Bilu LIU/Xiaolong ZOU/Ling Qiu|
|0812J3 Data Science and Information Technology|
|Sensors and Microsystems||Zheng YOU/Xiaohao WANG/Liwei Lin|
|Nano-Devices||Hongyan FU/Yidong HUANG /Connie Chang-Hasnain/Wang Feng/Yi LUO|
|Internet of Things and Societal Cyber Physical System||Lin ZHANG/Shaolun HUANG/ Khalid M. Mosalam|
|Future Internet||Jianping WU/Yong JIANG|
|Big Data Research||Wenwu ZHU|
|Smart Imaging||Qionghai DAI|
|0831J4 Precision Medicine and Healthcare|
|Macromolecular Platforms for Translational Medicine and Bio-Manufacturing||Wei SUN/Tao XU/Seung-Wuk Lee/Ting Xu/Shaohua Ma|
|Cancerbiomarkers, Therapeutics and Theranostics||Laiqiang HUANG/Lan MA/Gerard Marriott|
|Biomedical Detection and Imaging||Hui MA/Xiaohua Gong|
|Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine||Wei SUN/Yaojiong WU/Tao XU/Song Li/ Gerard Marriott/ Xiaohua Gong|
|Integrated Molecular Diagnostic System||Jing CHENG/Luming LI|
|Oncotherapeutics||Peter E. Lobie|
|Category I Applicants:
Candidates from Mainland China: i) expected to graduate in 2018, qualified for exemption from entrance examinations based on their undergraduate institutions’ recommendations; ii) currently enrolled in a Master’s degree program at Tsinghua University, qualified for exemption from entrance examinations for PhD admission
|Category II Applicants:
Candidates from Mainland China: i) with a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree; ii) expected to obtain a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree prior to August, 2018
|Category III Applicants:
Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan candidates: i) with a Master’s degree; ii) expected to obtain a Master’s degree prior to August, 2018
|Category IV Applicants:
International candidates: i) with a Master’s degree; ii) expected to obtain a Master’s degree prior to August, 20188
|Online Application||Please do the online application in both websites: e:http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/admissions and http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/admissions and http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn
Time period 1: May 2017-September 8,2017
Time period 2: November 1,2017- November 11,2017
There will be No admission if we have complete the quota, you can apply for the system for only one time.
* Note: Category III applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.
|Online application is now open at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/
* Note: Please read the Admission Guide to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2018 (For International Students) carefully before starting your application.
|Document Submission||September 8, 2017||As early as possible (Deadline will be announced in early December, 2017 on the official website of Tsinghua University)||THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient.|
Academic excellence and demonstrated potential for outstanding leadership are required;
GPA of 3.0 and higher (on a 4.0 scale) (if applicable).
English Language Proficiency
Courses will be taught entirely in English for PhD programs at TBSI. Applicants are expected to have good command of English. For non-native English speakers, evidence of English proficiency is required. Please submit one of the following standardized English language test scores from the past 5 years:
|Test||Minimum Score Requirement|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|IELTS||7.0 overall band score|
|China College English Test (CET) Band 6||425|
|Tsinghua English Proficiency Test (TEPT) Level II||Pass|
Applicants who may not be able to provide any report of the above examinations during online application period, please attach a statement indicates your situation and provide other proof of English language proficiency in the application system. In addition, please contact TBSI Admissions Office to review your language-related documents and confirm your eligibility.
* For applicants whose institutions adopt English as the medium of instruction (covering at least 3 years for Bachelor’s Programs or at least 1 year for Master’s programs), please contact TBSI Admissions Office for review and you may not need to provide evidence of English proficiency.
Category I Applicants currently enrolled in undergraduate programs, must also meet the following conditions:
1. 1.Expected to obtain a Bachelor’s degree at key universities in China;
2. Be qualified for exemption from China National Entrance Examination for Graduate Programs based on your current institution’s recommendation (具备本院校推免资格);
3. Have not received any punishment in universities/colleges;
4. Have achieved excellence in academic records during undergraduate study.
Category II Chinese Mainland Applicants with/expected to obtain degrees at overseas institutions, must also meet the following conditions:
Diplomas issued by overseas institutions must be certified by the Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange, China Ministry of Education and the original certification report shall be submitted. Applicants who have not yet obtained their degrees at the time of application shall submit the original certification report prior to enrollment in 2018.
Category III Applicants:
1. Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants: Refer to applicants holding a Permanent Identity Card of Hong Kong/Macao; or a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents; or a Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents.
2. Category III Applicants applying for PhD programs shall have degrees or academic qualifications equivalent to Master’s degrees in the P. R. China. Applicants are responsible for the authenticity of documentation submitted in support of his or her application for admission. The submission of fraudulent documents is prohibited and will result in denial of admission.
Category IV Applicants:
1. 1.International Applicants: Refer to applicants who are non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
2. Category IV Applicants applying for PhD programs shall have degrees or academic qualifications equivalent to Master’s degrees in the P. R. China. Applicants are responsible for the authenticity of documentation submitted in support of his or her application for admission. The submission of fraudulent documents is prohibited and will result in denial of admission.
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For applicants from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan)
Please do the online application at: http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/ Once you submit the application, no change is allowed.
* Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.
Hard Copies of Application Documents (will not be returned)
1. Application Form.
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement, Plan of Study in both Chinese and English as separate files. (International applicants may only provide documents in English.)
3. Two Letters of Reference. Referees shall hold a position as (or equivalent to) Associate Professor/Professor in relevant academic areas. A letter of reference shall include evaluations on applicants’ qualifications, potential to carry on advanced study in the field specified, and intellectual independence, as well as descriptions of significant actions, accomplishments, character and personal qualities related to academic achievement. Letters of reference must be submitted in envelopes signed and sealed by referees.
4. Official Transcript. Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university with a school stamp on the copies and the envelope.
5. Copies of Diplomas and Awards/Certificates of Merit; International applicants must provide verification of Bachelor and Master’s degrees.
6. Proof of English Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency)
7. Please provide copies or proof of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, if applicable.
8. Please provide evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to research and academic activities, if applicable.
9. For Hong Kong/Macao applicants, please provide copies of either Permanent Identity Card of Hong Kong/Macao or Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents. For Taiwan Applicants, please provide copies of Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents.
* All kinds of certification shall be original documents or notarized copies in either Chinese or English. Original degree verification letters and transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university. Notarized copies must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing notary departments. Original documents or notarized copies will not be returned and will be preserved as student records. New graduates can submit later original documents or notarized copies of degree certificates and transcripts upon registration. Candidates fail to provide qualified documents will not be officially admitted.
* TBSI Admissions Office will review all the original documents of application materials. TBSI reserves the right to cancel or withdraw any oral or written admission notification given to students who fail to provide original documents of application materials. Application documents will not be returned.
Once your online application is submitted, please mail the hard copies of your application as early as possible to the following address: Admissions Office, 21F, C3 Building, Nanshan Intelligence Park, No.1001, Xueyuan Blvd., Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China 518055. Applicants whose hard copies of documents fail to be received before the deadline will be regarded as give up their applications.
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For international applicants)
Applicants should complete the Online Application at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/ during the designated THU application period. Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application as early as possible before the submission deadline Please note that for applicants for the Chinese Government Scholarship or other scholarships, applications should be follow the time period of Tsinghua University.
Please upload all the listed documents below to the application system:
1. Personal statement. Doctoral degree program applicants also need to submit a brief introduction of research experience.
2. Degree certificate. Master’s degree program applicants should submit a bachelor’s degree certificate. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both master’s and bachelor’s degree certificates. Those who have not graduated yet must provide a proof of education in current academic institution.
3. Academic transcript. Master’s degree program applicants should submit an academic transcript of undergraduate study. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit academic transcripts of both graduate and undergraduate studies.
4. Two online academic recommendation letters from scholars who have the title of associate professor or higher, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow system instructions for submission of online recommendation letters.
5. Documentary Evidence of English Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency), if applicable.
6. Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport).
Note： Use the online application to apply. The online application offers tools for collecting and submitting the documents and information required for application. You may provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, and evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to scientific and technological activities both in and out of school, if applicable and upload the files to the application system as supplemental documents.
★ Applicants are required to submit scanned copies of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations are to be submitted together to the application system.
★ Please scan the original or notarial application documents in color using a scanner. Documents images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
★ Application fee must be paid at time of application submission. THU is not responsible for errors made by applicants during the application process. There are no application-fee refunds.
★ Applications uncompleted or not paid application feewill not be processed.
★ THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise, the admission will be disqualified.
★ None of the mentioned application documents will be returned.
Evaluation and Admission
THU reviews all the international applications based on the same process and time schedule. The admission committee of eachdepartment/school will review the application Only shortlisted acpplicants will be informed for interview. If an interview is required for admission, TBSI will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview appointment; and provide information about the interview process.
Final admission result depends on the result of document review, interview grade and other factors under THU supervision. Offer letter will be issued by THU Graduate Admission Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check admission status via the THU Graduate Programs Application System for International Students.
TBSI Scholarships for Chinese Mainland/Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan Students
|Phases||Study in China||Study Overseas|
|Types||TBSI Dean Scholarships||TBSI Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarships||TBSI Shenzhen Living Allowance||Grants from Tsinghua University||TBSI Study Overseas Scholarships|
|Criteria||20,000||Excellence Scholarship||Merit Scholarship||Academic Scholarship||12,000||33000||24,000|
|Units||per student per year in RMB||per student per year in USD|
TBSI Scholarships for International Students
|Phases||Study in China||Study Overseas|
|Types||TBSI International Students Scholarships||TBSI Dean Scholarships||TBSI Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarships||TBSI Shenzhen Living Allowance||TBSI Study Overseas Scholarships|
|Criteria||30,000||20,000||Excellence Scholarship||Merit Scholarship||Academic Scholarship||12,000||24,000|
|Units||per student per year in RMB||per student per year in USD|
Tsinghua University mainly offers two kinds of scholarships to incoming full-time international graduate students: Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) and Tuition Scholarships.
The full CGS covers tuition fees, living allowance, on-campus accommodation, and comprehensive medical insurance. Basically, for incoming full-time international graduate students, there are two kind of channels to apply for CGS: through Chinese Embassies or Consulates in your home country or through Chinese universities. (*Applicants could choose only one application channel. Repeated application through more than one channels is not allowed.) For more information about CGS, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC): http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study or Chinese embassies/consulates in the home country. Please consult the Chinese embassy/consulate in advance since the application schedule varies from country to country (usually from last November to this April). For the contact information of Chinese embassies/consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China.
Qualified applicants who meet the requirements of “CGS-Chinese University Program” could apply for CGS through Tsinghua University’s recommendation instead. However, the number of candidates that could be recommended by Tsinghua University of the year is very limited and is subjected to the approval of CSC.
Tuition Scholarships include Beijing Government Scholarship (for full-time master’s program students) and Tsinghua University Scholarship (for full-time doctoral program students). Tuition Scholarships cover full or partial tuition fee support with duration of one academic year and could be applied year by year (competitive).
For detailed information and scholarship application, please refer to the Introduction of Scholarships.
* Scholarships will be granted to students after enrollment. For more details on scholarships and tuition fee, please consult staff at Admissions Office.
TBSI students do not need to apply for accommodation on campus by themselves. Student apartment accommodations will be reserved after they have been admitted into the Institute.
Visa Application and Registration
Admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1 visa). Students who intend to live in an on-campus dormitory shall apply for the room on line during the dates specified in the university instructions. Students shall come to THU for registration during the dates indicated by the Admission package with the required documents. Normally, registration is held in late August. Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and X1 visa; and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China.
All students should present the necessary original or notarial degree certificate upon registration at Tsinghua University for enrollment qualification review. Students who are failed enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
Chinese Mainland/Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan Students: 10,000 RMB/Year
International Students: 40,000 RMB/Year