Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute
Master’s Programs Admissions 2018
Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute (TBSI) is jointly established in 2014 by the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) and the Tsinghua University, with the full support of Shenzhen Municipal Government, on the initiative of building a bridge across disciplines, cultures and countries, academia and industry, and an unprecedented platform for international collaboration, fostering future entrepreneurs and leaders in science and technology. Application for fall 2017 Master's Programs admissions is now open.
Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley have signed a dual degree program agreement on May 10, 2016 and the program will be launched in Fall 2016. Students meet requirements for admission to Tsinghua and UC Berkeley have a chance to receive dual Master’s degrees within two years and a half to three years, from both Tsinghua University (in Environmental Science & New Energy or Data Science & Information Technology) and UC Berkeley (in Engineering Leadership).
Faculty Team: TBSI plans to recruit 100 faculty members, including senior professors from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, as well as full-time faculty newly recruited from all over the world. At present, all the research teams have already entered a virtuous cycle among education and research.
Co-Advisors: TBSI has set up a group of advisors composed of faculty members from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, who will provide guidance on educational objectives, educational model, curriculum design, papers & thesis, industrial internship, etc.
Industry Advisors: TBSI has established its Industrial Advisory Board, members of which include high-tech enterprises such as Tencent, HUAWEI, SIEMENS, DJI-Innovations, BYD Auto, ZTE Corporation and Cisco. Students can benefit from the university-industry partnership in their research and personal development.
At TBSI, students will be provided with excellent research environment and encouraged to develop their innovative thinking and creativity in trans-disciplinary research. Under the guidance of world-class faculty and industry advisors, students are able to gain unrivalled experience of studying together with schoolfellows from different cultures at the two universities. On TBSI’s platform of collaboration between universities and society, students will develop their entrepreneurial and innovation abilities with interdisciplinary research.
Academic Areas of Study
|0830J2 Environmental Science and New Energy Technology||01 Global Environment and New Energy Technology|
|0812J3 Data Science and Information Technology||01 Data Science|
Precision Medicine and Healthcare Master Program has passed the review, detail information please pay attention to TBSI official website.
|Category I Applicants: Candidates from Mainland China who are qualified for exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination||Category II Applicants:Candidates from Mainland China who will take National Graduate Entrance Examination||Category III Applicants:Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan Candidates||Category IV Applicants:International Candidates(Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.)|
|Online Application||Submit Online application at the same time: http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/admissions and http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/||Register and submit applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide||Category III applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.||Online application now open at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/
* Note: Please read the Admission Guide to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2018 (For International Students) carefully before starting your application.
|Document Submission||September 8, 2018||N/A||As early as possible (Deadline will be announced in early December, 2017 on the official website of Tsinghua University)||THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient.|
|Interview||July and September, 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A|
• Bachelor’s Degree/Above
Undergraduate applicants shall complete their programs and obtain a Bachelor’s degree prior to enrollment at the end of August, 2018.
• GPA/Class Rank
Academic excellence and demonstrated potential for outstanding leadership are required.
GPA of 3.0 and higher (on a 4.0 scale) (if applicable)
• Language Proficiency
TBSI Master’s programs adopt English and Chinese as the medium of instruction. Applicants are expected to have good English and Chinese skills.
For non-native Chinese speakers, HSK Score Report is required. Applicants must pass a Chinese Proficiency Test (new HSK) band 4− with a score of 195 or above.
For non-native English speakers, you must provide evidence of English proficiency. Please submit one of the following standardized English language test scores from the past 5 years:
|Test||Minimum Score Requirement|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|IELTS||7.0 overall band score|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|China College English Test (CET) Band 6||425|
|Tsinghua English Proficiency Test (TEPT) Level I||Pass|
* For applicants who may not be able to provide any score report of the above examinations during online application period, please attach a statement indicates your situation and provide other proof of English language proficiency in the application system. In addition, you must contact our Admissions Office to review your language-related documents and confirm your eligibility
* For applicants whose institutions adopt English as the medium of instruction (covering at least 3 years for Bachelor’s Programs or at least 1 year for Master’s programs), please contact our Admissions Office for review and you may not need to provide evidence of English proficiency.
Applicants who will take the China National Graduate Entrance Examination have to meet all the requirements indicated in the 2018 Regulations on National Graduate Admissions of the People's Republic of China.
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For applicants from Mainland China)
Submit Online application at the same time:http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/admissions and http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/
* Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.
Submission of Application Documents (Hard Copies)
For Applicants Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination;
For Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan & International Applicants:
List of Application Documents (Hard Copies):
1. Application Form.
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement, Plan of Study in the languages of both Chinese and English as separate files. (International applicants may only provide documents in English.)
3. Two Letters of Reference. Referees shall hold a position as (or equivalent to) Associate Professor/Professor in relevant academic areas. A letter of reference shall include evaluations on applicants’ qualifications, potential to carry on advanced study in the field specified, and intellectual independence, as well as descriptions of significant actions, accomplishments, character and personal qualities related to scholarly achievement. Letters of reference must be submitted in envelopes signed and sealed by referees.
4. Official Transcripts. Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university with a school stamp on the copies and across the envelope flap.
5. Copies of Diplomas and Awards/Certificates of Merit; overseas students must provide copies of these documents in English.
6. Documentary Evidence of Language Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements- Language Proficiency)
7. Please provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, if applicable.
8. Please provide evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to scientific and technological activities both in and out of school, if applicable.
9. For Hong Kong/Macao applicants, please provide copies of either Permanent Identity Card of Hong Kong/Macao or Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents. For Taiwan Applicants, please provide copies of Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents. For international applicants, please provide copies of personal information page of passport.
* All kinds of certification shall be original documents or notarized copies in either Chinese or English. Original degree verification letters and transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university. Notarized copies must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing notary departments. Original documents or notarized copies will not be returned and will be preserved as student records. New graduates can submit later original documents or notarized copies of degree certificates and transcripts upon registration. Candidates fail to provide qualified documents will not be officially admitted.
* TBSI Admissions Office will review all the original documents of application materials. TBSI reserves the right to cancel or withdraw any oral or written admission notification given to students fail to provide original documents of application materials.
* Mailing address:
Once your online application is submitted, please mail the hard copies of your application documents as early as possible to the following address: Admissions Office, 21F, C3 Building, Nanshan Intelligence Park, No.1001, Xueyuan Blvd., Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, P.R.China 518055. Applicants whose hard copies of documents fail to be received before the deadline will be deemed to give up their applications.
Interview & Written Test
■ Applicants Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination:
■ Interview Dates: September, 2016
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location refers to : http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/.)
■ Applicants who will take the National Graduate Entrance Examination:
■ Interview & Written Test Dates: March, 2018
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location refers to : http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/.)
■ Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan Applicants:
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location.)
Category I Applicants Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination:
Undergraduate applicants are required to submit separate application according to the Tsinghua University 2018 Regulations on the Admission of External Students Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination to Master’s Programs or relevant notifications concerning qualified students at Tsinghua University, which will be released on the graduate admissions website of Tsinghua University.
Category II Applicants who will take the National Graduate Entrance Examination:
Participate in the National Graduate Entrance Examination
Register before deadline on the graduate admissions website of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and follow the examination instructions as indicated in the official 2018 Graduate Admissions Guide of Tsinghua University, which will be released on the graduate admissions website of Tsinghua University.
|Examination Subjects - TBSI Master’s Programs|
|0830J2 Environmental Science and New Energy Technology
01 Global Environment and New Energy Technology
|①101 Political Ideologies and Philosophy ②201 English ③301Mathmatics ④916 Basics of Global Environment and New Energy Technology|
|0812J3 Data Science and Information Technology
01 Data Science
|①101 Political Ideologies and Philosophy ②201 English ③301Mathmatics ④915 Basics of Data Science|
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For international applicants)
Applicants should complete the Online Application at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/ during the designated THU application period. Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application as early as possible in the cycle, well in advance of posted deadline dates. Please note that for applicants for the Chinese Government Scholarship or other scholarships, applications should be follow the time period of Tsinghua University.
Please upload all the listed documents below to the application system:
1. Personal statement.
2. Degree certificate. Master’s degree program applicants should submit a bachelor’s degree certificate. Those who have not graduated yet must provide a proof of education in current academic institution.
3. Academic transcript. Master’s degree program applicants should submit an academic transcript of undergraduate study.
4. Two online academic recommendation letters from scholars who have the title of associate professor or higher or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow system instructions for submission of online recommendation letters.
5. HSK certificate and score report, if applicable.
6. Documentary Evidence of English Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency), if applicable.
7. Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport).
Note： Use the online application to apply. The online application offers tools for collecting and submitting the documents and information required for application. You may provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, and evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to scientific and technological activities both in and out of school, if applicable and upload the files to the application system as supplemental documents.
★ Applicants are required to submit scanned images of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations are to be submitted together to the application system.
★ Please scan the original or notarial application documents in color using a scanner. Documents images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
★ Application fee must be paid at time of application submission. THU is not responsible for errors made by applicants during the application process. There are no application-fee refunds.
★ Applications with incomplete documents or without application fee payment will not be processed.
★ THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise, the admission will be disqualified.
★ None of the above application documents will be returned.
Evaluation and Admission
THU enrolls students by document evaluation together. The admission committee of the applicable department/school will review the application documents and select applicants for further examination. If an interview is required for admission, TBSI will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview appointment; and provide information about the interview process.
Admission to the graduate program is determined at the department/school level with oversight by Tsinghua University according to the result of document review, result of interview, and other factors. Certificate of Admission will be issued by THU Graduate Admission Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check admission status via the THU Graduate Programs Application System for International Students.
Scholarship (For international applicants)
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS). Applications should be submitted to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) (Website: http://www.csc.edu.cn) through recommendation by Chinese Embassies or Consulates or relevant organizations in applicant home countries between November and April (deadlines vary by country). Applicants are recommended to identify their respective countries’ application deadlines well in advance. A certificate of conditional acceptance should be obtained from the THU Graduate Admission Office beforehand if necessary. Admission documents of Chinese Government Scholarship holders will be issued by recommending scholarship organizations (excluding scholarship holders recommended by Tsinghua University).
Applicants may also apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship with recommendation from Tsinghua University. But the number of the recommended applicants is very limited, and successful applicants are generally of remarkable merit among those who are not currently studying in China.
In addition to the Chinese Government Scholarship, applicants may choose to apply for the Beijing Government Scholarship (for master’s degree programs), which will typically support full, half, or partial tuition.
For more detailed information about introduction and application of scholarship, please visit http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn.
Chinese Mainland/Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan Students: 8,000 RMB/Year
International Students: 33,000 RMB/Year
Please pay close attention to information announced on the official website of TBSI on admission timelines, procedure and document submission as well as the website of Graduate Admission Office of Tsinghua University: http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/