Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute
2018 Master Program Admission
Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute (TBSI) is jointly established in 2014 by the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) and the Tsinghua University, with the full support of Shenzhen Municipal Government, on the initiative of building a bridge across disciplines, cultures and countries, academia and industry, and an unprecedented platform for international collaboration, fostering future entrepreneurs and leaders in science and technology. Application for fall 2018 Master's Programs admissions is now open.
Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley have signed a dual degree program agreement on May 10, 2016 and the program will be launched in Fall 2016. Students meet requirements for admission to Tsinghua and UC Berkeley have a chance to receive dual Master’s degrees within two years and a half to three years, from both Tsinghua University (in Environmental Science & New Energy,Data Science & Information Technology and Precision Medicine and Healthcare) and UC Berkeley (in Engineering Leadership).
Faculty Team: TBSI plans to recruit 100 faculty members, including senior professors from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, as well as full-time faculty newly recruited from all over the world. At present, all the research teams have already entered a virtuous cycle among education and research.
Co-Advisors: TBSI has set up a group of advisors composed of faculty members from Tsinghua University and UC Berkeley, who will provide guidance on educational objectives, educational model, curriculum design, papers & thesis, industrial internship, etc.
Industry Advisors: TBSI has established its Industrial Advisory Board, members of which include high-tech enterprises such as Tencent, HUAWEI, SIEMENS, DJI-Innovations, BYD Auto, ZTE Corporation and Cisco. Students can benefit from the university-industry partnership in their research and personal development.
At TBSI, students will be provided with excellent research environment and encouraged to develop their innovative thinking and creativity in trans-disciplinary research. Under the guidance of world-class faculty and industry advisors, students are able to gain unrivalled experience of studying together with schoolfellows from different cultures at the two universities. On TBSI’s platform of collaboration between universities and society, students will develop their entrepreneurial and innovation abilities with interdisciplinary research.
Academic Areas of Study
|0830J2 Environmental Science and New Energy Technology||01 Global Environment and New Energy Technology|
|0812J3 Data Science and Information Technology||01 Data Science|
|0831J4 Precision Medicine and Healthcare||02 Bioengineering and Translational Medcine|
|Category I Applicants: Candidates from Mainland China who are qualified for exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination||Category II Applicants:Candidates from Mainland China who will take National Graduate Entrance Examination||Category III Applicants:Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan Candidates||Category IV Applicants:International Candidates (Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.)|
|Online Application||Please do the online application in both websites: http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/admissions and http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/ Once you submit the application, no change is allowed.
1st batch1: May 2017-September 8,2017
2nd batch2: November 1,2017- November 11,2017
Note: There will be No admission if we have complete the quota, you can apply for the system for only one time.We will not open for the second round application if the quota used up in the 1st batch.
|Register and submit applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide||Category III applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.||Online application now open at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/
* Note: Please read the Admission Guide to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2018 (For International Students) carefully before starting your application.
|Document Submission||September 8, 2018||N/A||As early as possible (Deadline will be announced in early December, 2017 on the official website of Tsinghua University)||THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient.|
|Interview||July and September, 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A|
• Bachelor’s Degree/Above
Undergraduate applicants shall complete their programs and obtain a Bachelor’s degree prior to enrollment at the end of August, 2018.
• GPA/Class Rank
Academic excellence and demonstrated potential for outstanding leadership are required.
GPA of 3.0 and higher (on a 4.0 scale) (if applicable)
• Language Proficiency
TBSI Master’s programs adopt English and Chinese as the medium of instruction. Applicants are expected to have good English and Chinese skills.
For non-native Chinese speakers, HSK Score Report is required. Applicants must pass a Chinese Proficiency Test (new HSK) band 4− with a score of 195 or above.
For non-native English speakers, you must provide evidence of English proficiency. Please submit one of the following standardized English language test scores from the past 5 years:
|Test||Minimum Score Requirement|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|IELTS||7.0 overall band score|
|TOEFL||90 for the internet-based test (iBT)|
|China College English Test (CET) Band 6||425|
|Tsinghua English Proficiency Test (TEPT) Level I||Pass|
* For applicants who may not be able to provide any report of the above examinations during online application period, please attach a statement indicates your situation and provide other proof of English language proficiency in the application system. In addition, you must contact our Admissions Office to review your language-related documents and confirm your eligibility.
* For applicants whose institutions adopt English as the medium of instruction (covering at least 3 years for Bachelor’s Programs or at least 1 year for Master’s programs), please contact our Admissions Office for review and you may not need to provide evidence of English proficiency.
Applicants who will take the China National Graduate Entrance Examination have to meet all the requirements indicated in the 2018 Regulations on National Graduate Admissions of the People's Republic of China.
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For applicants from Mainland China)
* Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan applicants shall submit their applications accordingly as required in the 2018 Tsinghua University Admissions Guide and List of Graduate Programs for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Applicants.
Submission of Application Documents (Hard Copies)
For Applicants Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination;
For Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan & International Applicants:
List of Application Documents (Hard Copies):
1. Application Form.
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement, Plan of Study in both Chinese and English as separate files. (International applicants may only provide documents in English.)
3. Two Letters of Reference. Referees shall hold a position as (or equivalent to) Associate Professor/Professor in relevant academic areas. A letter of reference shall include evaluations on applicants’ qualifications, potential to carry on advanced study in the field specified, and intellectual independence, as well as descriptions of significant actions, accomplishments, character and personal qualities related to academic achievement. Letters of reference must be submitted in envelopes signed and sealed by referees.
4. Official Transcripts. Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university with a school stamp on the copies and the envelope.
5. Copies of Diplomas and Awards/Certificates of Merit; overseas students must provide copies of these documents in English.
6. Proof of Language Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements- Language Proficiency)
7. Please provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, if applicable.
8. Please provide proof of awards/significant accomplishments relevant to research and academic activities, if applicable.
9. For Hong Kong/Macao applicants, please provide copies of either Permanent Identity Card of Hong Kong/Macao or Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents. For Taiwan Applicants, please provide copies of Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents. For international applicants, please provide copies of personal information page of passport.
* All kinds of certification shall be original documents or notarized copies in either Chinese or English. Original degree verification letters and transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing college or university. Notarized copies must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the issuing notary departments. Original documents or notarized copies will not be returned and will be preserved as student records. New graduates can submit later original documents or notarized copies of degree certificates and transcripts upon registration. Candidates fail to provide qualified documents will not be officially admitted.
* TBSI Admissions Office will review all the original documents of application materials. TBSI reserves the rights to cancel or withdraw any oral or written admission notification given to students fail to provide original documents of application materials.
* Mailing address:
Once your online application is submitted, please mail the hard copies of your application as early as possible to the following address: Admissions Office, 21F, C3 Building, Nanshan Intelligence Park, No.1001, Xueyuan Blvd., Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, P.R.China 518055. Applicants whose hard copies of documents fail to be received before the deadline will be regarded as to give up their applications.
Interview & Written Test
■ Applicants Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination:
■ Interview Dates: September, 2017
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location refers to : http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/.)
■ Applicants who will take the National Graduate Entrance Examination:
■ Interview & Written Test Dates: March, 2018
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location refers to : http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn/.)
■ Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan Applicants:
(Further notice will be given with details on specific time and location.)
Category I Applicants Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination:
Undergraduate applicants are required to submit separate application according to the Tsinghua University 2018 Regulations on the Admission of External Students Qualified for Exemption from National Graduate Entrance Examination to Master’s Programs or relevant notifications concerning qualified students at Tsinghua University, which will be released on the graduate admissions website of Tsinghua University.
Category II Applicants who will take the National Graduate Entrance Examination:
Participate in the National Graduate Entrance Examination
Register before deadline on the graduate admissions website of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and follow the examination instructions as indicated in the official 2018 Graduate Admissions Guide of Tsinghua University, which will be released on the graduate admissions website of Tsinghua University.
|Examination Subjects - TBSI Master’s Programs|
|0830J2 Environmental Science and New Energy Technology
01 Global Environment and New Energy Technology
|①101 Political Ideologies and Philosophy ②201 English ③301Mathmatics ④916 Basics of Global Environment and New Energy Technology|
|0812J3 Data Science and Information Technology
01 Data Science
|①101 Political Ideologies and Philosophy ②201 English ③301Mathmatics ④915 Basics of Data Science|
|0831J4 Precision Medicine and Healthcare
02 Bioengineering and Translational Medcine
|①101 Political Ideologies and Philosophy ②201 English ③301Mathmatics ④929 Basics of Bioengineering and Translational Medcine|
HOW TO APPLY ?
(For international applicants)
Applicants should complete the Online Application at http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/ during the designated THU application period. Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
All applicants are encouraged to submit the application as early as possible in the cycle, well in advance of posted deadline dates. Please note that for applicants for the Chinese Government Scholarship or other scholarships, applications should be follow the time period of Tsinghua University.
Please upload all the listed documents below to the application system:
1. Personal statement.
2. Degree certificate. Master’s degree program applicants should submit a bachelor’s degree certificate. Those who have not graduated yet must provide a proof of education in current academic institution.
3. Academic transcript. Master’s degree program applicants should submit an academic transcript of undergraduate study.
4. Two online academic recommendation letters from scholars who have the title of associate professor or higher or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow system instructions for submission of online recommendation letters.
5. HSK certificate and score report, if applicable.
6. Documentary Evidence of English Proficiency (See details in Admission Requirements-English Language Proficiency), if applicable.
7. Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport).
Note：Use the online application to apply. The online application offers tools for collecting and submitting the documents and information required for application. You may provide copies or evidence of core publications (conference/journal papers) or other academic achievements, and evidence of awards/significant actions/accomplishments relevant to scientific and technological activities both in and out of school, if applicable and upload the files to the application system as supplemental documents.
★ Applicants are required to submit scanned copies of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations are to be submitted together to the application system.
★ Please scan the original or notarial application documents in color using a scanner. Documents images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
★ Application fee must be paid at time of application submission. THU is not responsible for errors made by applicants during the application process. There are no application-fee refunds.
★ Applications uncompleted or not paid application feewill not be processed.
★ THU may request some applicants to offer original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification check if uploaded documents are not sufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise, the admission will be disqualified.
★ None of the mentioned application documents will be returned.
Evaluation and Admission
THU reviews all the international applications based on the same process and time schedule. The admission committee of each department/school will review the application. Only shortlisted acpplicants will be informed for interview. If an interview is required for admission, TBSI will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview appointment; and provide information about the interview process.
Final admission result depends on the result of document review, interview grade and other factors under THU supervision. Offer letter will be issued by THU Graduate Admission Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check admission status via the THU Graduate Programs Application System for International Students. Certificate of Admission will be issued by THU Graduate Admission Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check admission status via the THU Graduate Programs Application System for International Students.
Scholarship (For international applicants)
Tsinghua University mainly offers two kinds of scholarships to incoming full-time international graduate students: Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) and Tuition Scholarships.
The full CGS covers tuition fees, living allowance, on-campus accommodation, and comprehensive medical insurance. Basically, for incoming full-time international graduate students, there are two kind of channels to apply for CGS: through Chinese Embassies or Consulates in your home country or through Chinese universities. (*Applicants could choose only one application channel. Repeated application through more than one channels is not allowed.) For more information about CGS, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC): http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study or Chinese embassies/consulates in the home country. Please consult the Chinese embassy/consulate in advance since the application schedule varies from country to country (usually from last November to this April). For the contact information of Chinese embassies/consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China.
Qualified applicants who meet the requirements of “CGS-Chinese University Program” could apply for CGS through Tsinghua University’s recommendation instead. However, the number of candidates that could be recommended by Tsinghua University of the year is very limited and is subjected to the approval of CSC.
Tuition Scholarships include Beijing Government Scholarship (for full-time master’s program students) and Tsinghua University Scholarship (for full-time doctoral program students). Tuition Scholarships cover full or partial tuition fee support with a duration of one academic year and could be applied year by year (competitive).
For detailed information and scholarship application, please refer to the Introduction of Scholarships.
* Scholarships will be granted to students after enrollment. For more details on scholarships and tuition fee, please consult staff at Admissions Office.
TBSI students do not need to apply for accommodation on campus by themselves. Student apartment accommodations will be reserved after they have been admitted into the Institute.
Visa Application and Registration
Admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1 visa). Students who intend to live in an on-campus dormitory shall apply for the room on line during the dates specified in the university instructions. Students shall come to THU for registration during the dates indicated by the Admission package with the required documents. Normally, registration is held in late August. Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and X1 visa; and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China.
All students should present the necessary original or notarial degree certificate upon registration at Tsinghua University for enrollment qualification review. Students who are failed enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
Chinese Mainland/Hong Kong/Macao/Taiwan Students: 10,000 RMB/Year
International Students: 40,000 RMB/Year