E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel & Fax :
Bilu Liu is currently an Associate Professor and a Core-PI at Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute (TBSI), Tsinghua University, China. He received his bachelor’s degree in Materials Chemistry from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 2006, and Ph.D degree in Materials Science from the Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IMR, CAS) in 2012. He worked in the University of Southern California (USC) as a Postdoctoral Research Associate and later Research Assistant Professor between 2012 and 2016. His research interests cover the chemistry and materials science of low-dimensional materials with emphasis on carbon nanostructures, two-dimensional materials, and their heterostructures. His work relates to the controlled preparation of these materials and their applications in electronic, optoelectronics, and electrocatalysis. He has published over 70 papers on these topics with >9000 citations and an H-index of 41.
Liu’s group research interest: Chemistry, materials sciences, and electronics of low-dimensional materials with an emphasis on carbon nanotubes, graphene, and two-dimensional semiconductors. Catalyst engineering for structure and chirality-controlled growth of single-wall carbon nanotubes; Carbon nanotube chirality analysis using optical spectroscopy and electron diffractions; Growth mechanism investigations of carbon nanotubes, graphene, 2D materials; Development of methodologies for hierarchical assembly of these novel materials into complex and functional systems, their property investigations, and applications in energy, electronics, optoelectronics, and sensing.
Ph. D. in Material Science, Institute of Metal Research,Chinese Academyof Sciences, 2006-2012, Thesis advisor: Profs. Hui-Ming Cheng, Wencai Ren
B.S. in Material Chemistry, University of Science & Technology of China (USTC), 2002-2006
2016- , Associate Professor,Tsinghua-Berkeley Shenzhen Institute (TBSI), Tsinghua University
03/2016-05/2016, Research Assistant Professor,Department of Electrical Engineering,University of Southern California
05/2012-02/2016, Postdoctoral Research Associate,& Research Associate,University of Southern California (USC), Postdoctor Advisor: Prof. Chongwu Zhou Dr. Ming Zheng (NIST)
Published more than 70 papers in prestigious journals with total citations >9000 and H-index of 41. Selected publications.
1. Luo, Y. T.; Tang, L.; Khan, U.; Yu, Q.M.; Cheng, HM.; Zou, X.L.*; Liu, B.L.*, Morphology and Surface Chemistry Engineering for pH-Universal Catalysts toward Hydrogen Evolution at Large Current Density. Nature Communications, 2018.
2. Cai, Z. Y.; Liu, B. L.*; Zou, X. L.; Cheng, H. M.*, Chemical Vapor Deposition Growth and Applications of Two-Dimensional Materials and Their Heterostructures. Chemical Reviews, 2018, 118 (13), 6091–6133.
3. Cai, X. K.; Luo, Y. T.; Liu, B. L.*; Cheng, H. M.*, Preparation of 2D material dispersions and their applications, Chemical Society Reviews, 2018, 47, 6224-6266.
4. Liu, B. L.; Wu, F. Q.; Gui, H.; Zheng, M.; Zhou, C. W., Chirality-Controlled Synthesis and Applications of Single-Wall Carbon Nanotubes. Acs Nano2017,11 (1), 31-53.
5. Liu, B. L.; Ma, Y.; Zhang, A.; Chen, L.; Abbas, A. N.; Liu, Y.; Shen, C.; Wan, H.; Zhou, C., High-Performance WSe2 Field-Effect Transistors via Controlled Formation of In-Plane Heterojunctions. Acs Nano2016,10 (5), 5153-60.
6. Liu, B. L.; Fathi, M.; Chen, L.; Abbas, A.; Ma, Y. Q.; Zhou, C. W., Chemical Vapor Deposition Growth of Monolayer WSe2 with Tunable Device Characteristics and Growth Mechanism Study. Acs Nano 2015,9 (6), 6119-6127.
7. Liu, B. L.; Köpf, M.; Abbas, A.; Wang, X.; Guo, Q.; Jia, Y.; Xia, F.; Weihrich, R.; Bachhuber, F.; Pielnhofer, F.; Wang, H.; Dhall, R.; Cronin, S. B.; Ge, M. Y.; Fang, X.; Nilges, T.; Zhou, C. W., Black Arsenic-Phosphorus: Layered Anisotropic Infrared Semiconductors with Highly Tunable Compositions and Properties. Adv Mater 2015,27, 4423-4429.
8. Liu, B. L.; Tang, D. M.; Sun, C. H.; Liu, C.; Ren, W. C.; Li, F.; Yu, W. J.; Yin, L. C.; Zhang, L. L.; Jiang, C. B.; Cheng, H. M., Importance of Oxygen in the Metal-Free Catalytic Growth of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes from SiOx by a Vapor-Solid-Solid Mechanism. J Am Chem Soc 2011,133 (2), 197-199.
9. Liu, B. L.; Ren, W. C.; Gao, L. B.; Li, S. S.; Pei, S. F.; Liu, C.; Jiang, C. B.; Cheng, H. M., Metal-Catalyst-Free Growth of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. J Am Chem Soc 2009, 131 (6), 2082-2083.
The Excellent Young Scholar (基金委优青), NSFC, 2017.
Excellence in Review Award for the journal Carbon, 2013/2014.
President Scholarship for Postgraduate Student of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China, 2012, (Special prize,highest honor in CAS.)
Materials Chemistry (Fall semester)
Materials Characterization: Fundamental and new developments (Spring semester)
Liu’s group is looking for Ph.D. and master students as well as postdoctoral associates who
i Highly motivated and enjoy scientific research.
ii With background in one of the following fields, materials sciences, chemistry, physics, electrical engineering.
iii Work in the growth of two-dimensional materials and their electronic, sensor, and energy-conversion related applications.